Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar
penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if
harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the
opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced,
distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we're looking for
talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich
heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world.
Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability,
efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched
in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing,
installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower
provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology
to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with
a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 2,000 in North
America and the Phillipines. In an industry that is reshaping the
world's energy future, there's no better place to be than
We believe that our employees create our brand - with each
project, each communication, each task completed and each
interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not
only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As
such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The
experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
The Principal Firmware Engineer is an essential part of a small
and dynamic team that develops, maintains, and tests SunPower's
various firmware components. Your code will make an impact, it will
be powering thousands of devices in the field and be the basis for
SunPower's value-added monitoring and control services. You will
help SunPower change the way the world is powered.
In addition to your engineering skills, we're looking for
individuals with a passion for renewable energy and solar in
particular. Your enthusiasm for our corporate mission is highly
You will be working with QA, Hardware, and Software Engineering
to produce highly reliable and flexible monitoring products for
solar power systems spanning residential, commercial, and
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and implement M2M communication using various protocols
(such as MQTT, Modbus, CAN bus, proprietary) and transport layers
(such as Wi-Fi, Zigbee, serial, TCP, PLC).
- Write, maintain and refactor C++ code for embedded devices
(mainly embedded Linux).
- Write bash scripts, configure a Linux system.
- Write automated tests for new features and integrate them into
a continuous integration environment.
- Perform board bring-up and troubleshoot electrical and firmware
- Specify cloud infrastructure requirements for fleet maintenance
and performance monitoring.
- Test communication with external devices in the lab.
- Troubleshoot issues in the lab as well as in the field during
- Help maintain a fleet of thousands of devices.
- Collaborate with other groups on design and implementation of
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering.
- 8+ years of experience writing C++ code.
- 8+ years of developing software in a Linux environment.
- Deep understanding of encapsulation and object-oriented
- Extensive experience with embedded systems.
- Extensive experience writing multi-threaded programs.
- Commitment to writing clean, elegant, and correct code.
- Familiarity with Linux at an administrator level, experience
writing bash scripts.
- Experience working in a lab environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Track record of mentoring junior engineers.
- Master's degree in Computer Science or Engineering.
- Strong experience with Wi-Fi, Cellular, and
- Experience with MQTT, Zigbee, Modbus, serial communication,
- Experience implementing HomePlug/PLC protocol handlers
- Experience with OpenWRT and Linux board bring-up.
- Experience with SCRUM methodology and CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience leading development teams.
- Experience driving architecture for large cloud-connected
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and
makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring,
firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the
basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual's
qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The
Company's policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex
(which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related
medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender
identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including
religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual
orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital
status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental
disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected
veteran or military status, or any other consideration made
unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or
regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all
applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This
commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the
Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of
the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
SunPower Supports EEO
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity /
Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation
for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans
in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our
online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a
disability, you may use the following alternative email address to
contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower
Corporation: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject that
line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only
candidates being considered for a position who require an
accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the
Company's obligations under law, it must develop a written
Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently
Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled
Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for
Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and
non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by
applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which
will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO
- Put Customers First
- Win Together
- Lead Decisively
- Innovate Relentlessly
- Do the Right Thing