Company: PAE Government Services Inc
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the
Position Location: Richmond, CA
PAE National Security Solutions is actively seeking applicants
for Biological Scientist
PAE Position Description: The Biological Scientist shall
perform, at a minimum, the following tasks and responsibilities in
accordance with standard operating procedures:
Must be able to obtain/maintain a DHS Suitability security
- Handling, receipt, and processing of daily operational, Quality
Assurance, verification and proficiency test samples potentially
containing biological threat agents.
- Receiving samples may require extended walking to/from
laboratory areas and up and/or down several flights of stairs.
- Samples may require being transferred from one area/cart/cooler
to another, requiring staff to lift ~50-60 lbs.
Processing samples requires more than one (1) hour, but
typically not to exceed four (4) hours, of repetitive motion (e.g.
twisting/cutting/pipetting/gripping) on a regular, if not daily,
- Performing non-research biological science work utilizing
microbiological and molecular techniques, which currently includes
DNA extraction and real-time polymerase chain reaction (real-time
PCR) to identify and characterize pathogenic bacterial and viral
agents (analytical methods and technologies may change over the
life of the contract).
- Laboratory workflow may occur in different laboratory areas
(e.g., clean, high and low titer, under different conditions, such
as BSL-2/BSL-3), utilizing a variety of biological safety cabinets
(BSCs), and/or hoods (e.g., laminar or dead air).
Laboratory work may require several PPE changes including, but
not limited to, respiratory and full body protection (e.g., Tyvek
suit) and gloves, for extended periods of time, not to exceed four
- Preparing reagents and samples - same as above
- Familiarity with Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
- Decontamination of workspaces, including Biological safety
cabinets, hoods/air boxes, equipment, and other items associated
with processing and analysis activities.
Necessitates decontamination of several rooms requiring
extensive use of bleach and alcohol. For safety, proper PPE is
- Maintaining chain-of-custody (CoC)
- Interpretation of results - must be capable of independent
- Data entry utilizing computerized or computer-linked
- Performing routine equipment calibration, cleaning, assembly,
and maintenance in multiple lab areas
- Collecting, processing, and analyzing internal laboratory
swipes/swabs for Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) and
contamination monitoring located across multiple lab areas
- Proper disposal of bio-hazardous waste.
- May require lifting, stooping, reaching, carrying, and/or
storing biohazard waste of different sizes and/or weights up to 40
- May require collecting multiple bags from BSL-2/BSL-3 areas and
loading and unloading the autoclave machine when completed. For
safety, proper PPE is required.
- Restocking and maintaining proper inventory (e.g., par levels,
rotation of stock, expiration dates, etc.,) of necessary
May require lifting, stooping, reaching, carrying, and/or
storing consumables, supplies, and/or equipment of various sizes,
shapes, and/or weights up to 70 lbs.
- Supporting BioWatch Program logistics in conducting and
documenting annual inventory (e.g., serial numbers, disposition,
PO's, packing slips, etc.) of DHS-procured durable equipment and
May require lifting, stooping, reaching, carrying, and/or
transporting equipment and/or instruments to/from different
laboratory areas and/or packaging instruments for service
- QA/QC and acceptance testing of reagents in accordance with
applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and the Laboratory
Operations Quality Assurance Program Plan (QAPP)
- Adhering to QA/QC requirements in accordance with the Public
Health Laboratory quality management systems and the BioWatch
- Maintaining documentation of records demonstrating compliance
with applicable training/retraining, competencies, document
- Analyzing routine external QA samples in accordance with the
BioWatch SOP's and QA Program guidance
- Proper archiving, storage, and shipping of samples.
May require lifting, stooping, carrying, and/or storing of
sample archives of varying sizes and weights up to 40 lbs.
- Demonstrating ability to follow and adhere to written
procedures and accepted practices in accordance with federal,
state, and local regulations, safety, security and dress code
policies, procedures, and guidelines, including DHS Safeguarding
Sensitive but Unclassified (For Official Use Only) Information
(January 2005) when visiting or working at Government
- Preparing written and oral technical reports, answering
questions, and making recommendations to the Lead Biological
Scientist for inclusion in comprehensive reports
- Accurately performing work with confidence
- Demonstrating competency in various testing methodologies
(e.g., multi-center studies), evaluating potential products and
processes against unique environmental backgrounds, and meeting
- Scheduled workdays include weekends and holidays
- Must be present for all hours of the workday, and be available
24/7/365 in case of emergency
Position Minimum Requirements/Qualifications:
- Minimum of a Ph.D. or Master's degree from an accredited
university in microbiology, molecular biology, or related course
work in biological sciences with at least one (1) year of
laboratory bench experience outside of an academic environment,
utilizing PCR, aseptic techniques, and biological assays, and at
least one (1) year of experience serving as a Senior Scientist or
Team Leader of a laboratory team/project. Bachelor's degree from an
accredited university requires four (4) years of laboratory bench
experience outside of an academic environment, including at least
one (1) year of experience as a Team Leader/Senior Scientist.
- Biological Safety Level (BSL)-3 experience is desirable.
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring
practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard
to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United
States military veteran's status, ancestry, sexual orientation,
marital status, family structure, medical condition including
genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental
or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the
job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or
any other protected category under federal, state, or local
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Keywords: PAE Government Services Inc, Richmond , Biological Scientist, Other , Richmond, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!