Community Support for Adults with Disabilities
Posted on: January 10, 2022
VistAbility is a non-profit agency serving Contra Costa County
that exists to enhance and enrich the lives of children and adults
with intellectual and developmental disabilities. We provide direct
services and advocacy to assist those we serve in achieving their
highest level of personal independence and self-sufficiency.:
Assist adults with disabilities in gaining skills towards greater
independence and self-advocacy out in the community! Whether it be
at the mall, bowling alley, park, volunteer opportunities- this is
a dynamic position with lots of social and community interaction.
As an Community Support Specialist:, you will provide
participant-directed community-based services to adults with
intellectual and developmental disabilities. Community Support
Specialists assist participants to develop services promoting
self-determination, independence and self-sufficiency in the
community. We are a 100% community-based day program with an
emphasis on self-advocacy and community integration.Activities
- Recreation: outdoor activities, community events, bowling,
- Educational activities: attend classes for art, music, yoga,
- Activities to enhance social skills and community involvement
- Mobility training, transport consumers
- Volunteer and paid work for the participantsYou will also track
each participant's progress toward reaching their individual goals,
and act as their case manager.Duties include:
- Develop, review, and evaluate individual program plans
- Records and report writing
- Communicate with family members, care providers, case managers
- Develop and maintain community contactsQualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Two years experience also preferred, providing direct services
to persons with developmental disabilities or in community outreach
or other social service settings.
- Knowledge of developmental disabilities.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Should be highly skilled in: leadership or coaching, conflict
resolution, time management, cooperation/teamwork, developing
positive professional relationships.The following physical
capabilities are required: :
- Lifting: The ability to assist in a 2-person lift of an average
adult as well as be able to lift up to 75 pounds independently.
- Pushing/Pulling: The ability to safely push or pull a
wheelchair with an average adult for 30 consecutive minutes.
- Bending/Squatting/Reaching: The ability to assist adults in
personal care activities, such as changing briefs, or in a medical
or behavioral emergency, such as a grand mal seizure, fall, or
aggressive or destructive behavior. These activities may require
bending, squatting, or kneeling on the floor.Minimum Requirements:
- Valid CA driver license and good driving record required.
- Must meet State Licensing requirements involving health
screening and Dept. of Justice clearance including fingerprinting
and background check.
- - COVID-19 Vaccination - subject to religious or medical
Location: :RichmondHours:: Monday - Friday, 7:45-3:15 pm (37.5 hour
workweek)Compensation:: $17/hr + great benefits!Benefits for these
work hours include:
- Medical, Dental, Life and Long Term Disability Insurance,
403(b) retirement plan,
- Paid vacation, Sick Days, and 11 paid Holidays plus a paid
"holiday" on the employee's birthday.Our vacation accrual rates are
generous: 1st and 2nd year of employment = 2 weeks vacation a year;
3rd and 4th year of employment = 3 weeks vacation a year; 5th to
9th year of employment = 4 weeks vacation a year; the 10th year
onward = 5 weeks vacation a year.All positions open until
Keywords: VistAbility, Richmond , Community Support for Adults with Disabilities, Other , Richmond, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!