Journeyman Lineman (IBEW) Line of Progression
Company: PG&E Corporation
Posted on: September 18, 2022
Requisition ID# 121921 Job Category : Lineman Job Level :
Individual Contributor Business Unit: Electric Operations Job
Location: San Jose; Antioch; Auburn; Bakersfield; Buellton; Chico;
Concord; Concord; Davis; Eureka; Fort Bragg; Fremont; Fresno;
Fresno; Geyserville; Grass Valley; Hayward; Hollister; King City;
Lincoln; Livermore; Lodi; Madera; Marysville; Merced; Monterey;
Moss Landing; Napa; Oakland; Paso Robles; Petaluma; Placerville;
Point Arena; Red Bluff; Redding; Richmond; Rocklin; Salinas; San
Rafael; Santa Cruz; Santa Rosa; Stockton; Taft; Ukiah; Walnut
Creek; Wasco; Watsonville; Willits; Willow Creek; Woodland Check
out our Careers page for information about our locations, benefits
as well as other useful information! Department Overview The men
and women of Electric Transmission and Distribution ensure the
delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers.
Electric T&D is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's
electric distribution and transmission operations, including
planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset
management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.
Our Maintenance Crew is tasked with the Maintenance and/or
restoration of high voltage and electrical facilities within
PG&E's system. They are our primary crews used for emergency
restoration and are the first for call-outs. Our General
Construction (GC) Department is comprised of approximately 700
employees, tasked with the Construction and Maintenance of high
voltage electrical facilities within PG&E's system. It is a
mobile work force that may travel throughout PG&Es service
territory to perform its work. Position Summary All Journeyman
Lineman classifications and the associated line of progression are
represented by IBEW Local 1245. This position is a DOT (Department
of Transportation) covered classification and is subject to random
drug and/or alcohol screening. We are hiring qualified Journeyman
Linemen to work throughout our service territory in Distribution
and Transmission, Division and General Construction positions, as
well as Compliance Inspectors. Open positions are predominantly in
Californias Central Valley and Bay Area, however additional
locations and classifications could become available at any time
based on changing business needs. Please note that Transmission
T-200 positions require a 2-year commitment to the Transmission
Department per LOA 22-18 and T-200 and T-300 positions in De Anza,
Peninsula, San Francisco and San Jose require a 3-year commitment
per LOA 22-06. This position may be subject to Joint Apprentice
Training Committee (JATC) review and approval. Provisional hires
will be required to participate in targeted training to achieve
journey-level knowledge of Journeyman Lineman roles and
responsibilities. Journeyman Linemen are responsible for building
and maintaining electric power systems and for restoring electric
service to commercial, industrial, agricultural and residential
customers. They are expected to test, frame and set poles; climb
poles, work in confined spaces; splice and terminate cables. Our
Lineman will have had successfully completed a federal or state
sanctioned apprenticeship (with approved supporting documentation)
and/or IBEW sponsored line worker apprenticeship. Work is
predominantly outdoors and in all weather conditions. Linemen must
be able to drive safely, work extended hours; travel/transfer to
new headquarter upon request at any time (General Construction
Positions), and wear company provided Personal Protective
Equipment. Compliance Inspectors conduct visual inspections of
electric poles and enclosures by driving and or walking the
electric distribution system to identify hazards that impact
safety, company liability and / or asset life, pursuant to General
Order 165. Various diagnostic tests are performed during detail
inspections such and infrared imaging, pole shell testing and
conductor height measurements. The individual will perform, repair
work on poles and substructures as required. Job
Journeyman Lineman ------------------------------
- Travels to various job locations within geographical assigned
region (for General Construction).
- Reviews job work requirements and provides input regarding work
for the day.
- Loads and unloads tools, materials and supplies into and out of
vehicles at crew headquarters and job site.
- Lifts, pulls and carries insulators, cross-arms, equipment,
tools, grounds, dampers, and other materials to and from job
- Loads and unloads tools, materials, and equipment off of hand
lines while standing on elevated structures that include: Wood
poles and insulated work platforms.
- Climb poles using boot hooks or aerial lift.
- Tests, frames; sets and/or anchors poles; strings electric
power lines and install cross-arms.
- Performs substation switching; installs and replaces switches,
circuit protection equipment, insulators, meters and
- Hangs and energizes transformers.
- Take voltage readings.
- Troubleshoots problems and determines extent of repairs on
primary and secondary overhead or underground dead legs.
- Work will include the use of hand and power tools; digging
holes by hand for pole installation; climbing ladders, poles,
embankments and towers; working at heights above 35 on poles and in
aerial lifts; setting grounds; working with live circuits; and
working in trenches, manholes and confined spaces.
- Sets and installs underground structures, locates, pulls,
removes, splices or terminates cables.
- Installs and replaces equipment, meters and streetlights.
- Operates hydraulic equipment including: drills, boom truck,
digger, pole tamper, hydraulic jack and bucket truck once
- Operates lift equipment such as aerial lifts and line truck
- Operates forklift to load and unload work materials and
- Travels by vehicle, motor boat or off-road utility vehicle
(OUV) to access job sites May drive a Class A vehicle (i.e. bucket
truck and line truck) to and from the job site. May drive a company
pickup truck or passenger vehicle to job sites and work locations,
meetings and training and will may use vehicle to go to vendor
locations and pick up or deliver supplies and materials. Conducts
daily vehicle inspections. Journeyman Lineman may provide back-up
relief in temporary absence of foreman; direct work to other
crewmembers and act as a leader. Must attend all mandated OSHA and
company training. Provides on-the-job training, orientation,
demonstration and assistance to apprentice linemen.
Compliance Inspector ------------------------------
- Receives and reviews work assignments and routes; plans routes,
checks directions and locations; obtains vehicle safety
- Drives company vehicle on designated inspections route and /or
to offsite training. Fuels vehicle at designated fueling stations
- Inspects the condition of overhead and underground distribution
facilities which includes manholes and vaults which require ladder
climbing and an environment with tight spaces.
- Walks, climbs, bend, kneel, crawls or squats to access
structures and equipment.
- Lifts metal cabinet doors.
- Unlocks / re-locks gates, doors, enclosures and manholes, as
- Uses hand and power tools to open access panels, lift manhole
covers, remove or secure damaged equipment; remove broken parts or
debris; make minor repairs to gain access.
- Uses metal detectors to locate buried facilities; infrared
sensor to determine status of underground connections.
- Communicates in person, by phone and by radio with
supervisors/public officials, customers and other departments
regarding findings, identified problems, proposed solutions, and
estimated time frames and to gain access, as needed.
- Perform detailed paper work, documenting work performed, to
record site locations, findings, identified problems, proposed
solutions, and estimated time frames.
- Keep records for equipment repairs and replacements.
- Uses log sheets to write up maintenance tags and describe
findings in field for entry into database.
- Attends daily / regularly schedule tailboard meetings or
communicates with supervisor to learn safety guidelines / potential
hazards in compliance with Utility standard.
- Utilize hand held computers and Global positioning systems
- Use digital cameras to document field conditions.
- Perform journey level line work and minor repairs that can be
safely performed without help (e. g. remove low pole steps, repair
broken ground moldings, repair high voltage signs and other
PG&E identifiers on underground enclosures, remove / repair
bolts on lids and locking devices on pad mounted equipment).
- Work as part of a construction crew, as needed. Qualifications
- Completion of a federal or state sanctioned line worker
apprenticeship with approved supporting documentation (e.g. IBEW
Journeyman Lineman A Ticket) and/or union or union-affiliated
sponsored line worker apprenticeship
- Must possessed a valid California Class A driving permit by
first day of employment
- Must have passed a California DMV medical exam by first day of
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- Ability to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to lift and carry up to 100 pounds
- Ability to work and drive in all types of weather and road
- Capable to work extended hours, nights, weekends and
- Ability to travel and transfer to a new headquarter upon
request at any time; throughout the entire PG&E service
- If hired as Provisional, must complete the provisional training
plan within one year from hire date.
- Successful candidates must pass the following pre-employment
requirements prior to beginning employment: drug screen, background
check, Post Offer Physical (POPA) Desired:
- Experienced in rubber gloving and hot stick procedures
- Experience in transmission and distribution work, underground
and numerous voltages
- Effective team player with strong communication skills
- Post-Offer Physical Assessment Lineworkers (POPA)
- Journeyman Assessment for Lineworker Progression (JALP) #lnmn
Keywords: PG&E Corporation, Richmond , Journeyman Lineman (IBEW) Line of Progression, Other , Richmond, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!